Does Insulation Pose a Fire Hazard?

Nearly every room in your house can pose a fire hazard, including attics. There might be countless causes of a fire,eg not correctly extinguished cigarettes, overloaded electrical sockets, leaving food neglected on the burner, defective wiring, unsuitable hearth upkeep, faulty electrical appliances and such like.

Attic insulation could have several concealed dangers, depending on the material used. So as to guarantee your insulation will not cause health fears or burn when heated, a flat fire hazards inspection should be conducted occasionally.

According to the Northern US Insulation Makers Organisation, some insulation materials can catch fire. Cellulose, for instance, is a paper-based insulator which can burn even after being treated with flame retardant, particularly since these treatments finally stop defending the substance from flames or other heat sources. Cellulose is the structural part of the first cell wall of green plants, many forms of algae and the oomycetes. Cellulose is the most common organic compound on Earth. About 33% of all plant matter is cellulose.

Blown-in cellulose insulation consists of shredded and pulverized paper boxes and newsprint that are installed in walls and attics to provide heat and sound insulation. The Environmental Protection Agency labels the substance as extremely impressive against insects, including earwigs, termites and cockroaches.

Cellulose insulation doesn’t contain any dangerous products compared to other kinds of insulation, that might contain asbestos, fiberglass, ammonium sulfate and formaldehyde. On the other hand, blown-in cellulose insulation is connected with 1 or 2 heavy perils that really must be properly addresses before it is utilized as an insulation material.

When it comes to the safest kind of insulation, the North American Insulation Makers Association advises fiberglass or mineral wool as non-hazardous, effective insulation materials. These materials do not burn nor possess perilous qualities, though airborne fibers from either may lead to non permanent skin or lung irritation in a few cases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *